Monday, April 12, 2010

The Guardians - Nanook


The next promo pinup for Johnny Canuck and the Guardians of the Northern Light, Nanook is one of only a few original characters in the series.  The book is mostly a re-imagining of the forgotten superheroes of Canada's comic book Golden Age, but Nanook has no 1940s counterpart and stands on her own.  So, she was created by Templeton and Cutler I guess.  That's pretty neat.

Nanook's a snow elemental, a powerful Inuit deity who possesses the body of a mild-mannered government agent Thor-style, and has the ability to summon a... well, maybe I won't say, but it's awesome.

I should probably mention these garish little logos I've been doing are by no means official, it's just me trying to learn Illustrator for fun or profit.

7 comments:

mega carter said...

I am super psyched for this book to come out. All these characters look awwweesoome

Ma-ding Tosh said...

Me like the design! tres sexy.

David J. Cutler said...

Thanks guys :) Appreciated!

IvanJWhite said...

Love it. Does she have control over Polar Bears? Like the mythological Nanuq.

David J. Cutler said...

She summons a giant polar bear, yes indeed!

Strannik said...

Nanook has no 1940s counterpart and stands on her own.

I assumed she was a version of Nelvana of the Northern Lights, the very first Canadian superheroine. Inuit deity? Check. Vast magical powers? Check. Even their names are kind of similar. I assumed that Moonstone wasn't able to use Nelvana due to trademark and/or copyright issues, so it created a proxy.

I am not saying you're wrong - it just seems like an awfully big coincidence.

David J. Cutler said...

Inspired by maybe, but not based on, haha... Nanook was meant to fill that niche, for sure. She was created by Ty and myself, though, not Moonstone. I'm not that familiar with Nelvana beyond having seen her on a stamp in the early 90s :)